Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Vacation! (Otherwise known as "The beers I drank")

Ryan and I took a short trip up to Lake Superior over the weekend ... here's some highlights.  (Also known as the "beers I drank" because the Duluth/Superior area are blessed with a couple of great microbreweries.)

Thirsty Pagan Brewing was the first spot we hit after checking into our hotel. I found them on the Internet and was lured there with the promise of hand-crafted beers and gourmet pizza.  We were not disappointed with either promise.

This is the Burntwood Black.  I think I could drink this beer every day for the rest of my life. They even use it to make brownies.

Ryan had the North Coast Amber.

Rest assured though - our trip wasn't all beer tasting.  I caught a sunrise on Lake Superior en route to the Barkers Island Farmers Market.


Later, there were ships to be watched in Duluth in Canal Park.

I could watch ships all day ... there is something amazing about seeing a vessel that's about the size of a football field come into this tiny little canal and make its way towards the docks.

But also - there was more beer ... these pictures were taken at Fitger's Brewhouse.




This was my chocolate cherry stout. It was like dessert in a pint.



Ryan went with the El Nino Pale Ale. Very good, very hoppy.
In short, it was a great weekend.  Even if you can see the tan lines from around my sunglasses.

No comments: