Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bastardized Beer Bread


I'm slowly venturing into the world of trying to make my own bread. I am intimidated by yeast, bread is full of carbs ... I can think of a million reasons why I should just chicken out and be content to buy artisan breads when company comes over and just suffer through white bread sandwiches every other day of the week (Ryan likes white bread ... can't get the boy to eat wheat ...).

Quick breads? Now that's another story ... I can handle a quick bread and have been finding some savory versions lately that have been intriguing.

This one is a mix of a couple recipes that I found ... The Peanut Butter Boy posted this whole grain beer bread version a few weeks ago, while Peanut Butter & Julie posted this one for a Sam Adams Cheddar Apple Bread.

I borrowed heavily from Peanut Butter Boy to create this. PB&J gave me the idea of what kind of add-ins I could put in this bad boy. Just one note ... don't forget the sugar. You'd be surprised how badly the bread needs it.


Bastardized Beer Bread

3 cups flour (PBB uses wheat flour or spelt ... I only had white bread and also had to throw in some Bisquick when I ran out ... sigh) 1/2 c. cheese (I used cheddar jack blend ... meh - could have been better.)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2T raw sugar 1T baking powder
1 tsp. sea salt 1 (12oz) bottle dark beer (I used 1550 Bock from the folks who brew Fat Tire)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl, making sure to lightly spoon the flour into measuring cups to avoid using too much. Whisk together all the dry ingredients.
2. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 bread pan with butter or cooking spray. Pour beer into the dry mixture and stir to with a wooden spoon. Use your hands to mix once it becomes difficult just until all ingredients are combined. Transfer dough to your bread pan and press down gently so it spreads out evenly. Bake for 1 hour. Let sit for 5 minutes in the pan.
**Note ... Honestly? I wish I would have just drank the beer. I forgot the put in the sugar ... it wasn't as good as it could have been.

No comments: