Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Michael Chiarello's Whole Roasted Turkey with Citrus Rosemary Salt

'Tis the season to be thinking about turkey.  And since I don't have a lot of room in my freezer and one of our local grocery stores had turkey on sale for .39 a pound, I jumped the gun a bit and made this recipe a few weeks ago so I could get my turkey fix early.

I found a ton of recipes on the Internet for roasted turkeys, but given my love for rosemary and lemon, this one stood out for me.

Mr. Chiarello's recipe calls for 2 8-10 pound turkeys, so I basically halved this recipe.  Also, I didn't utilize his recipe for making turkey gravy because necks and giblets freak me out.  Other than all of that?  This recipe is incredible.


Whole Roasted Turkey with Citrus Rosemary Salt                          by Michael Chiarello - Food Network

Citrus Rosemary Salt:

    * 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
    * 1 tablespoons lemon zest
    * 1/4 cup coarse salt

Roasted Turkey:

    * Turkey (I used a 13-lb.)
    * 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    * 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
    * 1 lemons, halved
    * 4 large carrots, halved lengthwise
    * 4 celery stalks

Directions

For the Citrus Rosemary Salt: In food processor, process all the ingredients. Pulse until well blended. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

For the Turkey: Wash the turkeys, inside and out, and dry well. Coat turkey, inside and out, with the olive oil. Season turkey on the outside with a tablespoon or two of the Citrus Rosemary Salt, pressing it in to adhere. Place 4 rosemary sprigs and 2 lemon halves inside the cavity of each turkey.

Arrange the halved carrots and celery stalks on baking sheets with a lip. Position turkey on top of the carrots and celery so that the turkey does not rest directly on the bottom of the pan. Drizzle turkey with remaining olive oil.

Roast until an instant-read thermometer (inserted deep into the thigh but away from the bone) reads 165 degrees F and juices in the thigh run clear when pierced with a fork, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours; begin checking at 2 hours. Remove from the pans and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yep necks and giblets freak me out too! The salt, citrus and rosemary is also used as a brine and you can rub it into the turkey, put it in a large plastic garbage bag and refrigerate for 3 days. I've done this with chicken and it is very good.