Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

Fear Conquered! Champagne Vinegar

Don't get me wrong - vinegar is a good friend of mine. From eating cucumbers soaked in white vinegar and sprinkled with sugar to a childhood trick of rinsing my freshly washed hair with vinegar, I try to have a bottle hanging around my kitchen (mostly for cleaning out the coffee pot). I actually have a couple bottles - some plain white vinegar and a bottle of balsamic vinegar. Well yesterday, I added another one to my pantry ... champagne vinegar.

According to the Cook's Thesaurus: "This light and mild vinegar is a good choice if you're want to dress delicately flavored salads or vegetables. Mix it with nut or truffle oil to make a sublime vinaigrette."

I bought champagne vinegar for a vinaigrette recipe that I saw on the Barefoot Contessa. Prior to watching that episode, I was kind of afraid of trying to make my own dressing. More about my dressing later, but for now champagne vinegar is a fear conquered.

1 comment:

CM said...

I love champagne vinegar!
Actually, I love most vinegars, and my pantry is bursting with them: regular ol' white, rice wine, ume plum, apple cider, balsamic (2 or 3 different ones), and a really awesome sherry vinegar... I also love raspberry vinegar- it makes such beautiful vinaigrettes!