Pages

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Curry-laden goodness


My first attempts at making curry were pretty damn pathetic. I credit part of my problems to my Scandinavian upbringing and the other part? I'm not sure - all I know is that I wanted to find a simple curry recipe that tasted really good and didn't require a lot of work. With help from our friend James, I finally found one that's pretty tasty.


Simple Curry

1 lb. of beef, pork, venison or curry, cubed into bite-sized pieces (**note, I've used this recipe with pork and venison chops - I'm on a kick to clean stuff out of my freezer.)
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. curry powder (I'm currently using a blend from World Market. I hear that Penzey's has a very good curry mix.)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (I use the juice in cooking rice)
1 can, chickpeas, drained
1 container, Greek yogurt (I've been using full-fat Fage yogurt ... heaven)

Sweat the onions and garlic in a little bit of olive oil or butter. Add your cubed meat and brown. When meat is brown or darn near that point, add tomatoes and chickpeas. Sprinkle with curry powder and stir in yogurt. Cook until heated through. Serve over rice.

I'll be the first to admit that this is a super-easy bastardized version of curry, but it's cheap, it's easy and I think it's relatively healthy. Kind of. Tasty - definitely.

No comments: