Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Mama Beans!

Even at its blurriest, these beans are divine

OK - I've been obsessed with my mother's cooking lately - not entirely sure why, but I love her. Her cooking is just a reflection on how awesome she is as a person.

We had an event at work recently where my boss grilled and I provided fiber to my entire staff of coworkers in the form of my mom's three-bean casserole. What's funny is that I absolutely hated this dish when I was a kid and I'm not sure why - I bet it had something to do with what it looked like, but now that I'm older, I think I could cheerfully eat this on a daily basis. And boy would my husband love me after that.

Mama Beans! Otherwise known as Three-Bean Casserole

1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 lb. bacon, chopped and browned
1 lg. can pork and beans
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can butter beans, drained
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. mustard
1/2 c. brown sugar

I brown the ground beef and the onion together and follow up by browning the bacon, which I chop into smaller pieces. (Although if you wanted, you could break it up after browning ...) Drain oil from bacon. Add meat to bean mixture, add ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. Stir well until all is mixed together. I cook mine in a crockpot on low for 6-8 hours, on high for 3-4 hours. And of course it's always better the next day. :)

No comments: