Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bastardized Crab Rangoon

This is one of my favorite appetizers ever.  It's ridiculously easy, disgustingly in-authentic and gets people to stray out of their comfort zone and try something they probably would avoid in other culinary situations.  What is it that I am referring to?  Why, it's Kraft's bastardized recipe for crab rangoons. :)

I originally found this article in the back of Kraft's food magazine and had tore it out to try.  This was many years ago.  I finally got to sample this appetizer when my friend Erin made it for a party I attended and I was hooked.  I finally made it for a friend's birthday and was amazed how good and how easy it was to make.


Baked Crab Rangoons
adapted from Kraft

1 8 oz. pkg of Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
1 can of crab meat, drained and flaked
green onions
wonton wrappers (you can usually find these in the produce section of the grocery store)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin tins and line with wonton wrappers.  Drain the crab meat (I actually rinsed the meat and then dumped it into a few layers of paper towels and squeezed it so it was dry ... you don't want runny rangoons) and combine with cream cheese and green onions.  (I used about four onions - much to my friend Anne's dismay.  Sorry buddy!)

Bake for 18 minutes.  Remove from tins and put on platter.  This is divine by itself, but we paired it with some sweet and sour sauce. 

Editor's Note:  The original recipe calls for light mayonnaise.  Since I couldn't locate my recipe and kept googling "Pillsbury Crab Rangoons" instead of "Kraft," I couldn't find the original recipe.  I think this was good without mayonnaise, but I'll leave that to your discretion.  Also - if I make these again, I'm so mincing some garlic and throwing it in there.  These were delightful, but I was missing something and I think that something was garlic.


... done, blurry & delicious

2 comments:

Deb said...

Those look great! Super easy....I'm gonna give those a go when I make sweet and sour chicken next time. Mmmmm.....

Anonymous said...

bastardized or not...crab and cheese...can't make too many people unhappy