Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rachael Ray's Sausage, Potato and Cabbage Stew

I do love cabbage, but one of my bastardly tendencies is to use half of a head and leave the rest moldering in the crisper drawer of my fridge.  A few weeks ago, I made a big pot of Mama Soup and had some leftover cabbage.  Luckily for me, I had spotted this recipe from Rachael Ray's magazine and decided that nothing sounded better than a combination of mustard, kielbasa, potatoes and yes - cabbage.

My only complaint about this soup is that it didn't make nearly enough ... I could have ate the leftovers for days.

File this under:  Looks questionable, tastes amazing
Rachael Ray's Sausage, Potato and Cabbage Stew
adapted from Rachael Ray 

    * 2/3 pound kielbasa, sliced (I used turkey kielbasa)
    * 1/2 red onion, chopped
    * 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (Don't have - I subbed champagne vinegar ... weird, I know)
    * 4 cups chicken broth
    * 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (again - didn't have, so I used Yukon Gold)
    * 2 1/2 c. shredded cabbage
    * 3 large carrots, grated or chopped finely **
    * Salt and pepper

**For the cabbage and carrot portion of this soup, Rachael used bagged coleslaw mix.  Great idea, but I had cabbage and carrots on hand and wanted to use them up before they turned into a science experiment.   

Directions:  In a large pot, cook the kielbasa and onion over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the mustard and vinegar, then add the chicken broth, potatoes and coleslaw mix; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

2 comments:

LoveFeast Table said...

Looks wholesome....yum...just right for the weather...brrrrr.~Chris Ann

Donna-FFW said...

HI! I saw you on the everything rachael ray blog. This sounds like a delicious soup and I will be trying it. I like RR soups/stoups, they always work out well for me. Nice to meet you.