Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rosemary White Bean Soup

Ryan and I had a rare weekend at home recently and after cleaning up my kitchen, I proceeded to trash it by baking scones, cupcakes and this soup from Ina Garten.

The bread is from Daube's Bakery in Rochester, Minnesota.  This is their Onion Vienna bread.  To die for ... 

Just a note ... this soup is one that takes a little bit of advanced planning to let the beans soak long enough.  I started soaking the beans on Sunday morning so we could have this soup for dinner.  Another option would be to soak them overnight.


Rosemary White Bean Soup
from "The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook"

Ingredients

    * 1 pound dried white cannellini beans
    * 4 cups sliced yellow onions (3 onions)
    * 1/4 cup good olive oil
    * 2 garlic cloves, minced
    * 1 large branch fresh rosemary (6 to 7 inches)
    * 2 quarts chicken stock
    * 1 bay leaf
    * 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a medium bowl, cover the beans with water by at least 1-inch and leave them in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight. Drain.

In a large stockpot over low to medium heat, saute the onions with the olive oil until the onions are translucent, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook over low heat for 3 more minutes. Add the drained white beans, rosemary, chicken stock, and bay leaf. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the beans are very soft. Remove the rosemary branch and the bay leaf. Pass the soup through the coarsest blade of a food mill, or place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until coarsely pureed. Return the soup to the pot to reheat and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Now, to get my hands on some white beans...too bad my one can won't cut it since I already have that in my pantry. Yum, yum!

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

Last weekend I made a white bean cannelini soup from sort of a mix. It really just included the beans and the seasonings. I added sauteed onions and celery, chicken broth, water, a can of diced tomatoes and white wine. I cooked it according to the instructions for three hours on the stove and the beans were still "crunchy" because they weren't soaked overnight. Lordy, did I PAY for it the next morning. I probably won't buy that "mix" again because if I soaked the beans and drained the water - well, no more seasonings - and the spices really were tasty.

Love me some Ina Garten. Maybe I'll make her amazing fudgy brownies this weekend. Yummy.

http://dmmfoodie.wordpress.com/