Pages

Friday, October 17, 2008

What prompts us to bake

I’ll tell you all later about my obsession with food blogs, suffice it to say – I have my favorites bookmarked and surf the ‘net regularly for culinary inspiration.

One of the things I like the most about a lot of the food blogs I visit is the stories that come with dishes. For so many of us, there is usually a story behind a favorite recipe – some one’s baked macaroni and cheese might be the first dish they ever made for their future husband, a certain cake was faithfully made on every birthday by another person’s mother, etc. Kitchen Sink is one of my particularly favorite blogs out there, mostly because this person is a Midwesterner (no one cooks like Midwest people – apologies to those I will offend with this notion). Her recipes are also reliably tasty and most are simple.

I post this link because I liked the story that Kitchen Sink told about a recent trip home to Minnesota and her mom’s “to-cook” list. Kitchen Sink’s notion is that all people who cook are influenced by their families. The recipes that Kitchen Sink finds on the web are comparable to her mom’s collection of cooking magazines. KS’s mom has a “to-cook” list, KS has an Excel spreadsheet built of future recipes to try. (I gotta say – that’s commitment, right there.)

http://ourkitchensink.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/my-moms-soup-files/

I’m not sure if I’m going to make this recipe – it calls for fennel, and to be honest, I’m not sure what fennel is. I’m sure that I would be able to find it if I went to the grocery store and took a good look, but will I know what to do with it once I take said fennel home? Or will the cat and I stare at this ingredient and try to divine its meaning?

No comments: