Pages

Monday, December 22, 2008

Cookbook Review: Better Homes & Gardens Cook Once, Eat Twice


I got this cookbook last year for a Christmas present after I read about it in one of the several blogs that I subscribe to. It's a great premise - use your crockpot to cook an initial meal and then use the leftovers the next day to create a second totally different meal. However, I come from the school of thought that if you have leftovers - woo hooo! It's another day of bean soup or another plate of pot roast to heat up the next day.

I can see where this particular cookbook might hit your pocketbook a little harder because the recipes themselves are pretty detailed. .... You also have to watch the calorie content in the recipes. 500 calorie recipes might be good for families feeding linebackers, but a wee bit too much for Ryan and I.

Having said all of these things, this is the cookbook that has gotten me over my fear of lamb. Don't get me wrong - I've ate lamb and I've loved it (come to think of it, that sounds really cruel ...) but to cook lamb? Daunting! But with 243 calories, 5 grams of fat and cooked in a crockpot? I can make the Greek Lamb Dinner (p. 74) and use the leftovers in the Lamb Gyro Salad (p. 75).

No comments: