Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Greek Chicken Kabobs

My husband and my dear friends can attest to one particular culinary obsession that I have: Our local grocery store Hyvee has these wonderful Greek chicken kabobs that I always bring to get togethers. Unfortunately at $7 for four of them, I cannot eat these kabobs every night although I would really try to do so if it was affordable.

So I decided to use my culinary noggin and try to recreate the delectable marinade that Hyvee spreads on their crack kabobs.

And friends ... I think I did it. Or at least, I'm in love with this chicken enough to turn my back on my former poultry addiction.

And of course, I didn't measure, but here's an approximation of my creation.


Greek Chicken Kabobs

zest of one lemon
5 twists of sea salt
1/2 tsp. dried mint
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 T. olive oil (**oh hell, I just put some in there until it looked like a decent consistency. Don't use too much though because you don't want to burn the kabobs.)

1 lb. chicken tenders (boneless, skinless, etc.)

I made the marinade, put the tenders in a sealable bag, poured the marinade and mashed it all together. Note - I did not have any extra marinade, I just made enough to coat the tenders. Then I refrigerated for 1 hour. (Well, I refrigerated longer than that because we ended up having company that afternoon and dinner was delayed, but you get the picture ...)

I heated my outdoor grill on high, alternated chicken and button mushrooms on my skewers. I turned down the grill to medium and cooked the kabobs for about 15 minutes, turning every so often. (I probably overcook my chicken, but I got food poisoning once off of undercooked chicken. Won't make that mistake again.)

And then ... my crappy sidedish.

I got this off of AllRecipes.com and man ... this was an unfortunate use of eggplant.

Eggplant and Tomato Packets

1 eggplant, peeled and cut in half
1 tomato, cut in half
garlic salt
olive oil
pepper

Peel and cut an eggplant in half. Cut the tomato in half. Place one half of each in a piece of heavy aluminum foil, sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Wrap the foil into packets. Grill on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.

For posterity's sake, this is the crappy side dish. I think its blurriness kind of equates its crappiness.

1 comment:

thrillhouse said...

Try slicing, breading, and frying the eggplant -- it's goood. (The extra "O" is to indicate the additional goodness.)