Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chocolate Cherry Cake

This cake defined my childhood.  I don't know if it's something that my mother made all the time when I was growing up or if it was one of those recipes that she discovered and then became a regular offering in our household.

All I know is that it's very good.  Very, very good.  So good, in fact, that when she made it and if there were ever any leftovers, I'd just cut myself a slice and walk around the kitchen eating it.  Forks?  Nope.  Plate?  Absolutely not necessary.

So when my mother-in-law asked me to bring a dessert for her recent Fourth of July gathering, I thought about bringing something fussy.  There was this raspberry custard pie I was eyeing.  But since my mother couldn't make it to said gathering and I was missing her (she, instead, was laid up with a broken ankle from some Countryfest revelry), I decided to do a nod to my childhood.  And I made this super easy, "I can't believe I'm publishing this" cake.

I love you, mom.  You're just awesome - even if you're kind of accident prone.



Mom's Chocolate Cherry Cake

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all ingredients together.  Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Bake for 30-45 minutes until done.  Cool.  Top with Cool Whip or a dusting of powdered sugar.  This cake will keep in a covered container for at least five days (if it lasts that long.)

3 comments:

Karen said...

I can't even make it through the title without drooling! :)

Gregs Eggs said...

Are those 3 eggs, or are those 3 grEGGS? I've got the silly site started... You'll have to check it out at http://www.gregseggs.com/ Not much there yet, but soon! :)

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Greg-I LOVE IT. Unfortunately, these were not grEGGs, but some that I got from my mother-in-law. We'll have to figure out a way to break into the Iowa market.