Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ina's Margaritas

Um ... yeah.  Ina doesn't mess around when it comes to her cocktails.  On Friday, I tried to hastily put together a happy hour with some of my coworkers and although I was sad that it didn't work out, I couldn't be sad for long ... I decided I would go home and make margaritas.  And since I've been trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup, I couldn't just break into the mix that I have lingering in my fridge (which is perfect for Margarita Cupcakes.).

So I went to the Food Network website and put "margarita" in their search engine.  A zillion recipes were spit back at me, but of course my beloved Ina's was one of the unfussiest of the bunch.  (After the week I've had, I don't really want to mess with making simple syrup - hear what I'm sayin'?)  And although you could argue that juicing five limes and a lemon is fussy, I wasn't really fussed.




Ina Garten's Margarita Recipe
from FoodNetwork.com

  • 1 lime, halved
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (5 limes)
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • 1 cup Triple Sec
  • 3 cups ice
  • 1 cup white tequila

If you like margaritas served in a glass with salt, rub the outside rims of six glasses with a cut lime and dip each glass lightly into a plate of kosher salt.  (Yeah - I so skipped that ... I ran the glasses I was using - a Mason jar and a pint glass - under the tap until they were moistened and then I went a little overboard on the salt factor.  But it was sooo worth it!)

Combine the lime juice, lemon juice, Triple Sec, and ice in a blender and puree until completely blended. Add the tequila and puree for 2 seconds more. Serve over ice.  (Another note ... I was so excited about margaritas that I added everything at once and then I blended.  I don't know that it makes a difference.)

If you want the recipe for frozen margaritas, you'll have to go to the website.  I'm all about margaritas on the rocks.

Another note ... I have to be honest, when I first tried this drink I told my husband that it was strong enough to put hair on his chest (to which he answered, "I already have hair on my chest.") .  So I'm warning you - Ina Garten isn't no Sandra Lee with her frou frou cocktails - that lady knows how to mix her margaritas.  I also wondered if I shouldn't cut it with a little simple syrup.  But no - this was one hell of a good drink.

2 comments:

RJ Flamingo said...

Mmmm! That sounds awesome. I may make a pitcher to have waiting for us when we get home from the hot mango festival, tonight...Wonder if I can adapt this to mangos.... :-))

Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle said...

When I see a post about margaritas I have to check it out; for I believe I have conquered the cocktail. Mine does have fresh squeezed juices and grated rind and simple syrup and requires steeping but it's so worth it. Yet how often do I really do that...well, certainly not if I'm talking to a neighbor and we decide it's margarita time!

I'll sub with frozen concentrates but thinking this recipe is better; less complicated yet still full of the fresh flavor I love.

The only thing I would recommend that has been a hit; I do a mix of kosher salt with sugar for rimming the glasses; even the biggest 'no salt' complainers find that a nice addition to the ultimate summer drink!