Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Kiddie Cocktails a.k.a. "Kitty Cottontails"

I'd like you guys to meet my nephew Joe.

This is Joe ... he's pretty cute.

Recently, I got to go on vacation with my family - my parents, my older brother and his wife, and their three youngest sons - Jordan, 14 (going on 23); Cody, he turned 11 on the trip and Joe, who is six.  I think.  Anyway - my mom had broken her ankle, so she asked me if I would help out on this trip - unfortunately, my husband stayed at home - so I drove solo to the Wisconsin Dells to meet up with my family.


I had the honor of accompanying Joe on his first excursion in a waterpark.  And after we had conquered the pirate ship (with some young punk demanding that we call him "Captain Jack."), I told my youngest boy that it was time for refreshments.

"I want a kitty cottontail," Joe stated.
"A what?"
"A kitty cottontail."

I looked over at my mom who translated for me.  "He wants a kiddie cocktail."  I was immediately transported to when I was a kid and we'd have happy hour over at my grandparents' house.  Yeah, you read that right - a CC Sweet for grandpa, something with sloe gin in it for my grandma, kiddie cocktails for me and my brother and Keebler Butter Pretzel Twists all around, dipped in French onion dip.  (Ooh, the decadence of French onion dip!)  We'd then play euchre and revel in how sophisticated we were to have happy hour with my grandparents.

Given that my nephew Joseph Stanley was named after my grandpa Stan, there was something appropriate about his request.

Having a hankering for a kitty cottontail?  You can find instructions on how to make them, here.

No comments: