Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Morrocan Meatball Stew

Because I want to fit into this really cute top that I recently bought and eventually spawn with my husband, I joined Weight Watchers last month.  As anyone who has been on this program will tell you, it's nice because you can eat anything that you want as long as you follow the alloted points assigned to you and for someone like me, it really helps me with portion control.

Thie recipe comes from a Weight Watchers cookbook that I acquired awhile ago from my favorite thrift store.  Boldly flavored, it's the kind of dish that makes you think "what diet?"



Morrocan Meatball Stew
Adapted from Weight Watchers

1 lb. lean ground beef
2 T. cilantro, chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. paprika (I used hot Hungarian paprika - yeow!  Good stuff!)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T. olive oil
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
3 oz. tomato paste (that's half a can)
3/4 c. water

Take the ground beef and add 1 T. of the cilantro, 1 tsp. of cumin and 1 tsp. paprika.  Throw some pepper in there for good measure and salt if you so desire.  Mix this up and make little meatballs that you'll set aside.  (The recipe said it would make 24 mini-meatballs, I got 16.)

Next up, chop the onion and the garlic.  Saute this in a large covered skillet with about 2 T. of olive oil for 3-5 minutes, until tender.  Add the additional cumin, cilantro and paprika, as well as the tomato, water and tomato paste, stirring well to incorporate.  Bring to a boil.  Add the meatballs and cover the skillet, keeping at a simmer and stirring occassionally for 30-35 minutes, until the meatballs are done and the sauce thickens.  (To get the sauce to thicken, I uncovered the dish for the last 10 minutes of cooking.)

During the last minutes of cooking, make yourself some couscous to pour the stew over.

One cup of couscous and one cup of the stew is 8 Weight Watchers points.  Woo hoo!

No comments: