Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cornmeal Cookies


Disclaimer - do not eat this after you've ate curry because the delicate flavors of the lemon zest and the cornmeal will be lost on you.

Other than that, this is a damn fine cookie - I think it would be perfect to make for a brunch, wedding shower or baby shower (note to friends: someone get preggo so I can throw you a shower. I think I have a bridal shower to throw in my future ... woo!)


Cornmeal Cookies
from Cooking Books

3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 large egg yolks
Grated zest of 1 medium lemon
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
7 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon yellow cornmeal

Oven preheated to 475F

In a small stainless steel bowl, beat the butter with a wooden spoon, placing it over low heat if necessary, until it's smooth, creamy and lightened in color. Sift the sugar over the butter and continue to beat. Next, beat in one yolk, still with the wooden spoon, then the next yolk, this time beating it with a wire whisk. Whisk in the lemon zest. Sift the flour and cornmeal into the batter, and using the wooden spoon, mix them in.

Scoop the batter into a cookie press or just spoon it in small balls onto a baking sheet prepared with a layer of parchment paper. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, for about 5 minutes. The bottoms should be browned, but the tops still a light, buttery yellow. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I've started using powdered sugar in my cookie recipes and I think it makes a much better cookie.

Cornmeal cookies is a new one for me but I might make these soon!