Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Super Quick Blender Salsa

Man, I'm blurry


Here's the story of a recent taco salad that I cobbled together ... So I described to you the sheer amount of food that was leftover from our wedding. Well, I had to clean out a couple of items from my freezer to make room for other items and came across a couple of bags of corn tortillas that I had used portions of, but froze the rest.

Here's a look at my thought process: "We have some turkey that needs to be finished up, we have about six bags of romaine lettuce and I'm really craving salsa right about now." So I preheated my oven to 400 degrees, threw the tortillas in the oven to thaw and when they were soft enough, I took my pizza cutter and cut the rounds into triangular shapes. I arranged them in a single layer on a baking sheet, gave them a quick spray of cooking spray (I was too lazy to get out my brush and use olive oil ... sue me), sprinkled them with sea salt and a little cayenne and baked them until they were golden and crisp. (I didn't time it - 15 minutes? Don't let them go too long like I did in the unpictured final batch.)

The final product ... not blurry!

I had some smoky peach salsa that I bought at a recent excursion to Trader Joe's, but I was craving the kind of salsa that I get when I go to some of the Mexican restaurants in town. Lots of onion, lots of tomato, a bit of salt and just a hint of cilantro. (Note: Usually I hate cilantro, but I recognize that in this dish, its what gives this salsa authentic flavor. Darn you cilantro.)

I found this recipe over at Real Mom Kitchen. And wow ... it is really good. It is really fast and it's going to be a staple in my future cooking.

Super Fast Blender Salsa
adapated from Real Mom Kitchen

1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 white onion, chopped
2 c. canned crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, with some tender stems
juice of 1 lime (or lemon will work too) (**I didn't have ...)
salt, to taste

Combine ingredients in the blender or food processor. Give it a quick pulse. I added more crushed tomatoes after I had combined the salsa to give it a bit more chunk.

1 comment:

Needs Help said...

I love salsa, I'm definitely going to have to try this! Thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement on my blog :)