Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lindsey's Mama's Potato Soup


One of my defining memories of college were the KWLC/Cantine parties that my beloved mentor Jen would host for the holidays and at the end of the year. These parties managed to turn my tastebuds from Boone's Farm to Merlot and acquainted me with this particular soup recipe that my friend Lindsey provided and Jen tweaked over the years.

Potato Soup
by Lindsey's mom, the other Mama Sharon

10 med. potatoes cooked - leave on skins - chop up
2-3 medium onions chopped
1/2 lb bacon (saute onion in this & crumble into soup)
3 C. chicken broth
2 T basil (dry)
1 can evaporated milk
(Jen's addition)
3 celery stalks, chopped
3-4 carrots, chopped

Boil potatoes and cook bacon until crisp. Go ahead and saute the onions in the leftover bacon grease because that's surely good for the soul. Add chicken broth, basil, potatoes (and other veggies if you're so inclined to add them.) Simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add milk at end or 2C half & half.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH...MAMA Sharon made the blog!!!! Perfect! I emailed her to let her know of the "changes" in her recipe........yummmmmmm

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

Tell your mom this is still the best soup in the world. :)

Dragon said...

I love food that comes from cherished memories. It just tastes better.