Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Russian Mushroom and Potato Soup

I found this recipe on AllRecipes and the fact that it's Russian in origin (I've been obsessed with that particular country ever since Ryan took me to Eastern Promises. Viggo, I'll make you borscht any old day of the week.) I'm also on a quest to try some different potato soup recipes because it's cold in Minnesota and I really like soup.

Russian Mushroom and Potato Soup
adapted from AllRecipes.com

· 4 tablespoons butter, divided
· 2 leeks, chopped
· 2 large carrots, sliced
· 6 cups chicken broth
· 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
· 2 teaspoons salt
· 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
· 1 bay leaf
· 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
· 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
· 1 cup half-and-half
· 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
· fresh dill weed, for garnish (optional)

DIRECTIONS

Melt 3 T butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Mix in leeks and carrots, and cook 5 minutes. Pour in broth. Season with dill, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Mix in potatoes, cover, and cook 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender but firm. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Melt the remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the mushrooms 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Stir into the soup. In a small bowl, mix the half-and-half and flour until smooth. Stir into the soup to thicken. Garnish each bowl of soup with fresh dill to serve.

1 comment:

Dragon said...

Hey, Viggo is mine! :) Maybe I'll share with you if you give me a bowl of this soup. Maybe.