Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

All hail my aunt's cooking


Let me preface this post by saying: I will never cook as well as my Aunt Sue does. The women in my family are fabled for their culinary arts, but I must confess – I’m kind of scared of my Aunt Sue because I’ve never watched her crack open a cookbook or consult a recipe. It seems like 95% of what she does comes from off the top of her head or else she has a photographic memory that commits recipe details to her brain.

So when Ryan asked me to call her and ask for her pretzel recipe and the corresponding mustard dip that he had fallen in love with when we were home for my grandma’s funeral – I was kind of intimidated. This was like asking a celebrity for their autograph.

But of course, my aunt called me and gave me the recipes that I needed and reported that she had already improved the spicy pretzel recipe – you’re looking at the original one.

I made this for a going-away party that Ryan had at work. They loved my aunt’s cooking as much as I do. And now I share it with you. People like the matriarchs of my family are the reasons why I love simple cooking – a recipe doesn’t have to be mind bending to be damn good.

Sue’s Spicy Pretzels


3 bags pretzels
2 bottles Orville Reddenbacher butter flavored popping oil
2 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk dressing
1 T. black pepper
1 T. cayenne pepper
1 T. dill weed

Dump all of the ingredients together, stir. Bake at 200 degrees for 1 ½ hours, stirring every 20 minutes.

Sue’s Mustard Dip

8 oz. sour cream
8 oz. mayonnaise
8 oz. mustard
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk dressing
½ c. sugar

Mix together. Chill.

No comments: