Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Seasoning a cast iron skillet

Before ...

Our first wedding present came from a dear friend of mine from college. Since Ben's profession is playing church organ, he has a little bit of a conflict from coming up to Iowa for the wedding. (I also told him he needs to save up his vacation time since he's getting married on June 13. :))

As Ryan knows, I have something of a thing for Bobby Flay. What he doesn't know is that I also love cast iron skillets and have never had one. Our first wedding present was shipped to us from Kohl's and I finally got around to seasoning it.

Seasoning? Ah yes ... my grandma's cast iron skillets (as well as my aunt's) are sights to behold - crusty and wonderful. Before you use a skillet for the first time, you need to season the skillet - in my case, rub it down with some bacon grease and throwing it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour.

Here's the link of the article that I consulted to season my beeeautiful skillet.

After ... complete with little bits o' bacon

No comments: