Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lentil, Bacon and Tomato Soup


OK - I want to look cool, so here is the French name of the soup I made: Potage Aux Lentilles Et Aux Lard - otherwise known as Lentil, Bacon and Tomato Soup. I made this a few weeks back when I was on my French kick and wow - Ryan and I demolished this soup in record time. I will definitely make this again. The bacon just adds a depth to it that is incredible.

Potage Aux Lentilles Et Aux Lard

from RecipeZaar.com

SERVES 6
3 tablespoons
olive oil
2 small
onions, finely chopped
6
garlic cloves, minced
2
celery ribs, sliced
4 ounces
bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips crosswise
1 1/3 cups
lentils (Lentilles de Puy, small green French lentils)
2 (14 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes
5 cups vegetable stock
3 sprigs
thyme
2
bay leaves
sea salt and pepper


Heat the oil in a large dutch oven. Add the bacon, onions and celery and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Don't allow to brown. Add the garlic and stir for about 1 minute. Add the lentils and stir to coat with the oil and bacon fat. Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, thyme and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until lentils are cooked. Add more broth if soup is getting too thick.

No comments: