Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2009

An unexpected gift

My grandma died in February after a long battle with Alzheimer's. After she moved from her house into the nursing home, Ryan and I inherited a few odds and ends - my favorite chair and a half, the kitchen table and chairs, grandma's cookbooks and an ottoman that belonged to my grandpa Stan (which Ryan once insinuated was ugly ... an ugly argument ensued after that error. All is well, it's hidden in a corner.)

Anyway - Ryan had to move the ugly ottoman to make some room for new furniture we purchased with our wedding money. I'm not sure what prompted him to open the ottoman, but Ryan found a bunch of cake pans, some food service-quality baking sheets and other odds and ends. Most of these items were new or barely used, so I wonder if my grandma put them in the ottoman and forgot that they were there.

I think it's appropriate and a little ironic that amongst all of the wonderful kitchen-related gifts we received for our wedding, this one comes a little bit later and totally unexpected. I miss my grandparents every day - no day more so than on our wedding day - but they're still here very much in spirit.

2 comments:

CM said...

Awww! That's so awesome.
I recently inherited my grandmother's bean crock (for baked beans, the real way), and my grandfathers cake pans that he used to make wedding cakes.
I feel so honored to get to use these things :)

Dragon said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad you have something to remember them by.